Sunday, January 15, 2006

Windows Update Service

What a pain for something that should be simple. I have a lab of six systems. About half I can't get WUS to run. I found the following steps fixed most of the problems. I have one system where I can not run the server 2003 service pack 1 from the CD. Get some stupid error like "ASN1 Unexpected end of data"

Found this on the web in hords of pages I looked through. Put this into a command file and run it on the system having a problem. Works on XP and Server 2003. Also, if in a domain, make sure you don't have a group policy muck'en around with the automatic update service and configuration.

net.exe stop wuauserv

cd /d %windir%

rd /s softwaredistribution

REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wuapi.dll

REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wuaueng1.dll

REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wuaueng.dll

REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wucltui.dll

REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wups.dll

net.exe start wuauserv

No comments:

Post a Comment