Sunday, September 19, 2004

Getting Started

Once again time has not been on my side. I set this blog up a while back and just now getting started. I am amazed by how some people appear to get so much done. I assume some of it has to do with the old 80.20 rule. They appear to have mastered doing the 20% that gets results and not messing around with the 80% that does not. I think I mess with the 80% most of the time.

As a bit of introduction to this blog. The intended purpose is to document some activities in my hobbies and other interests. Hobbies include Amateur Radio, electronics and flying. I am sure other stuff will filter in from time to time.

My amateur radio call sign is WB8GXB. You can email me at wb8gxb@arrl.org . I have been active in amateur since 1970. Prior to computers electronics was the geeks outlet of the time. Amateur radio fit right in there of course. When I was in high school there were not a lot of hams out of a class of approx. 500 students. The high school had grades 9 - 12 with a total student body of around 2000. There were maybe 5 or 6 licensed hams. I bet that same high school does not have a single licensed amateur in it today. Computers and software have become the geeks hobby of choice. There are many reasons for that which I won't go into at this time. It is just unfortunate that more students no nothing of amateur radio, radio propagation and electronics.

As I am typing this I have my Yaesu FT-817 running listening to Dayton Tower (119.9 MHz). I don't hear any smaller, i.e single engine, general aviation (GA). A Sunday night may be a little slow for air traffic. I am going to guess a lot of this if freight traffic. Weather is clear and calm so there are no instrument approaches being done or planes rushing to beat a storm.

I am using my 2-meter VHF antenna to listen to the aircraft band. It appears to show some gain and directivity even though I am 24-MHz off of the frequency the antenna is tuned for. It works better than the scanner antenna on the same tower.

That is enough for now. Catch you latter.



No comments:

Post a Comment